Although we all think that in summer we are only at risk of dehydration, the reality is that in the cold season we are also vulnerable , especially because we are less thirsty, we do not feel the sweat as in summer and we become reluctant to consume foods with high water content . Therefore, we remind you that staying well hydrated in winter is also important and we left nine ideas to achieve it.
Water in different drinks and infusions
If in winter you do not find it as easy as in summer to drink water, you can achieve it as part of other types of drinks or various infusions that can also help you add nutrients that reinforce the body’s defenses.
So, some other liquid options to hydrate with flavor during the winter are:
- Water of flavors without adding sugar but options that naturally give flavor to the water like fruits, herbs, vegetables or even different spices. As in summer , in winter we can increase the temperature of the water that we flavor and add, for example, citrus fruits that offer vitamin C to help us recover from colds and flu , herbs, spices and other ingredients, sources of components that, among other things, can help us to reinforce the body’s defenses this season.
- Green tea is one of the foods that contribute to the prevention of influenza and also provides a variety of antioxidants that can strengthen the immune system and to ward off viruses and other pathogens in our body.
- Ginger tea that is made by submerging in water boiling the zest and pieces of this root with valuable properties . It has anti-inflammatory effect so it can help us to prevent and cure illnesses in the cold, as well as, benefit cardiovascular health and move away from metabolic pathologies. A trick: combine it with juice or lemon zest for a better flavor and greater sweetness.
- Chai tea that is made from black tea filled with antioxidants that can benefit health and that as well as in summer we can prepare it ice cream , in winter we can consume it hot, along with a variety of spices to obtain more and better nutrients with it.
- Lemonade , because although they are always stars in the summer, in winter we can drink more liquid in this way and incorporate a variety of good nutrients to take care of our health in the cold. In addition, lemonade can keep us away from colds and flu if we drink it warm in winter and it is possible to make it not only from lime and lemon but with different fruits or vegetables.
More water in your solid dishes
Not only drinking more liquid helps us to be well hydrated, but approximately 30% of the water in our diet enters the body with food or solid preparations .
Thus, include in our diet of winter fruits and vegetables, and preparations like the ones shown below can also help you hydrate with flavor this season:
- Soups that in all their forms favor hydration. The vegetables are the most recommended to add a high water content, but we can also consume soups with vegetables or fish and other meats if we want to make this dish a complete meal that will add good nutrients, satiate and hydrate before the cold .
- Creams that are from the same family as soups but with a different appearance and easier to digest because there will be no “chunks” or require chewing as the soup can. Thus, we can make various vegetable or fruit creams and consume them at a warm temperature to comfort us while adding good nutrients in winter. Good choices include: Cream of carrot and tomato , cream of asparagus or carrot and ginger .
- Stews and stews that usually require the addition of water in high proportions and we can increase it if we add a high amount of vegetables inside. The spoon dishes will thus be healthier and offer not only a help to hydrate but good nutrients to protect the health from the cold. Some examples of stews and stews rich in water are: stewed vegetables with beans and pasta , green chicken curry with vegetables and rice , stewed lentils , artichokes stewed with cygalas , and as many as our imagination allows.
- Fruit compotes that are a valid option to consume fruits in winter, at a warm temperature if we do not want fresh fruit. We can make compotes without added sugars and with a variety of spices to add good nutrients that strengthen the body’s defenses such as cinnamon , raisins , lemon juice, among others.
With these nine ideas to hydrate with flavor during the winter you can favor an adequate intake of water that helps you to take care of the proper functioning of the organism and to ward off illnesses in the cold.