If you suffer from diabetes it is essential that you pay maximum attention to your diet and that you know what are the optimal foods for your body. To achieve this it is important that you control the amount of sugar you eat, as well as the contribution of carbohydrates and the glycemic index of each food.
Taking into account these data you can choose to choose the foods and optimal amounts to regulate and control your blood sugar. If you are passionate about fruits today we offer you five fruits that should not be missing from a diabetic’s diet.
Five perfect fruits for diabetics
- Strawberries: one of the top fruits in terms of its low caloric intake. In addition to this fact, strawberries are an excellent source of antioxidants that prevent the oxidation of blood and vitamins. In the case of people with diabetes, strawberry consumption is more relevant due to its low content of carbohydrates (8g / 100) and its glycemic index.
These qualities are important since they will affect the blood sugar levels and the speed with which the organism transforms the hydrates into glucose. Definitely a perfect fruit option to maintain blood sugar levels.
- Pears: a seasonal fruit that provides a multitude of nutritional benefits for anyone, but which is also highly recommended for those suffering from type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
On the one hand, the pear is a diuretic food and easy to assimilate that strengthens the immune and digestive system, which we have spoken on occasion when we treated the subject of autoimmune diseases such as type 1 diabetes, and on the other hand its improvement in insulin sensitivity.
A fruit option full of fiber, iron and potassium perfect for people with diabetes.
- Orange: a fruit full of vitamin C and beneficial nutrients. In the case of diabetic people, it is interesting to consume it because of its thiamin content, a vitamin that helps the body’s cells metabolize carbohydrates.
In addition, orange is another fruit that contains a good supply of fiber, as long as it is ingested with the pulp, and a low glycemic index, which will slow down the absorption of sugar in the bloodstream.
- Avocado: one of the star fruits in terms of healthy benefits. A contribution of good fats that help maintain cholesterol and is a perfect help in the prevention of metabolic diseases such as diabetes.
People suffering from this disease can benefit from their low intake of carbohydrates and their high content of fiber and monounsaturated fats to regulate sugar levels.
- Cherries: another of the great seasonal fruits that also has healthy benefits in diabetic people. In addition to being a perfect ally to keep our tension at bay and prevent cardiovascular disease, cherries, due to their content in anthocyanins, vegetable pigments within the group of flavonoids, stand out for their protective role in visual capillaries in people with diabetes and for be of help in increasing insulin production.
When you suffer from a disease such as diabetes, it is essential to control the nutritional contribution of all foods, including fruits and vegetables, and it is always worth mentioning those that contain good amounts of fiber since it will vary beneficially in the absorption rate of the blood sugar
Remember that whenever we talk about the nutritional contributions of fruits, as in this case of fiber, we take into account the complete piece as the original source since it is always better to take it complete than in juice to fully benefit from its nutrients.